How to box like a boss
There truly is an art to packing boxes and were going to let you know how to box like a boss for your upcoming move!
Boxing like a boss makes the whole moving process so much easier, that’s because when a box is packed correctly – there is less risk for the items inside to get damaged during transit.
Use these tips to help you prepare for your move –
#1: Pack early
- Organization is key in packing to move house, so start packing early.
- Try to pack as much as you can in advance and remember to leave out and a few necessities that you will need at hand such as – plates, cutlery and cleaning items and baby things)
#2: Pick the perfect boxes
- Use proper removalist cartons where possible, remember, ours are free, so let us know how many you need.
- At all costs, try to avoid using supermarket boxes without lids, these far more likely to break apart during your move.
- We recommend avoiding garbage bags that will rip and tear easily which are also bad for the environment, again with plastic boxes – although these may look sturdy – they are more prone to cracking.
#3: Pack right
The strength of a box needs to support the weight of its contents. Here is how to pack like the pros:
- Pack heavy items on the bottom of the box and lighter items on top
- Fill the empty space of the box with bubble wrap
- Don’t pack boxes heavier than 20 kilograms. Not only will they be difficult to lift, but an overly heavy box is more likely to tear or give out at the bottom
- Make sure that all packed boxes for moving can close properly on top
- Never pack a box that can’t close or that has items sticking out
- Clearly label every box indicating which room they are destined to in your new abode
- Clothes and linens are usually fine to pack in backpacks or suitcases, although we do provide wardrobe boxes which make life 100x easier
#4: Watch out for the big, the heavy and the fragile
- Larger Items, such as tables, chairs and couches, and other furniture items that cannot be packed into a box will be padded by your removalist of choice on moving day
- If you are packing heavy items – such as books, it is better to pack these in smaller book cartons – remember, if you pack books at the bottom of larger cartons, this is likely to cause the box to break
- Electronic devices and appliances are particularly sensitive when it comes to transport. Always wrap large electronic items in bubble wrap and take a picture of the connection of the cables, this will save you a lot of time and stress when reconnecting everything in your new place
- With regard to your fragile items, such as glassware and dishes, it is important that every piece is wrapped individually.
- Place all plates upside down and in bundles of 5. They are more stable this way and less likely to crack
- Always mark boxes containing fragile items and make sure you line all cartons containing fragile items with bubble wrap on the top, bottom and sides. We provide bubble wrap, so give us a shout if you need this!
#5: Last but not least
- Keep important documents such as passports, travel visa’s, certificates, expensive jewellery and all goods which are irreplaceable with you in your personal luggage
Make sure you reach out to Trouble Free Removals for our free boxes and wrapping services.